- Body weight awareness
- Motor control, soft touch
- Distance judgement
- Sensory awareness touch & temperature
- Judging short bowl & jack distances from the mat
- Judging long bowl & jack distances from the mat
- Judging bowl & jack distances from minimum length
- Judging bowl & jack distances from maximum length
- Visual- speed of green each end
- Visual- narrow and wide hands
- Visual- attitude of all players on rink
- Oral- hears positivity, caterpillar
- Oral- attitude of all players on rink
- Verbal language, positive
- Body language, positive
- Social skill level
- Clarity versus ambiguity in instruction
Competence of a SKIP – Communication Skills
- Does the Skip convey directions clearly?
- Does he indicate where to finish if the player misses?
- Does he offer his player a good percentage shot?
- Does he protect a player? ie. not offering a drive.
- Does he get ‘grumpy’ with his players?
- Does he get on well with his players? if not – watch out.
- Does he leave the rink ?
- Does he behave poorly – (body language)?
- Does he have a good attitude to all – including his opposition?
- Does he tolerate advice from his team?
- Does he talk to his players on the change-over?
- Does he appear courteous at the start of the game?